HomeRegisterLog inFollow us on facebookFollow us on twitterFollow us on youtubeFollow us on LinkedinFollow us on PintrestContact usFeedback

Share  | 

Memory Problems!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Charlie

PostSubject: Memory Problems!   Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:51 pm

IIH and memory problems
Memory problems

This memory thing is driving me to dispair. Honesly sometimes it is just ..... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: and more :twisted: .

Most the time I keep it to myself, well when I can, if it doesnt affect others like forgetting my childrens dental appiontments or my own appointments or if I forget what I'm saying mid sentence.

Or I try to laugh it off, but it is just that when I say something like "Oh no I forgot again, my memory is so bad" I sometimes find myself getting really anoyed inside with them when they respond with " I know what you mean, oh we all get that, I'm always forgetting stuff"

But are they? I mean is it the same? I'm sure my memory is worse than everyone elses around me. I'm also probably forgetting that people are trying to make me feel better by saying that. But sometimes it just makes me worse and I feel like saying "but no you have no idea, my brain is not what it used to be" :x

GGRR OK rant over!! Deep breath!! Thats better!! :roll:

Last edited by Heidi on Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:23 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling!!)
Back to top Go down
cedwards

PostSubject: Re: Memory Problems!   Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:51 pm

My memory loss comes in I can't recall people's names while I am talking to them or a name of someone when I am telling about something. I state my sentences backwards and my words are scrambled when I write. It is very fustrating, so I feel your pain. I have been studying herbalism for ear and when someone ask me a simple question the other day I could not recall one single herb! I teach the stuff! That's embarrassing and makes you feel so imcompetent. I really feel your pain...
Back to top Go down
Heidi
Admin1
Admin1

PostSubject: Re: Memory Problems!   Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:49 pm

I know what you mean about the memory thing. There's been times I couldn't even remember what they call a knife. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] It's the simply things at times and then you get frustrated and it makes it worse. The times I've had to say you know the thingyamajig, or the.. an then used some sort of mime to demonstrate what I mean.

Sometimes it's funny, you know when you mix sayings up like, I was sweating like a dog instead of pig because I mixed up two different sayings. I do that a lot. Even when I'm typing posts like this, I have to make sure I've not transposed letters, because I a lot ofthe times I've typed the words backwards or something. The only time I write by hand now is on cards, anything else I type out because I know it can be auto corrected.

I think as much as we do laugh it off, inside you're feeling foolish and feel like you have to say something in the way of explanation. When I was working I made a joke out of it an said it was a family thing. Luckily I don't have to do that with family, but with strangers and things, I'm always wondering what they must think, which is something I didn't used to bother about.

I keep doing memory exercises to try and improve it, it has a little, but I know it's never going to be the same. My longterm memory is great, ask me who was in what film in 1975 and I can tell you, ask me what happened in a tv programme yesterday and I can't. I remember when I used to work for the NHS doing admin stuff, and sometimes I must admit I mourn the person I used to be.

To remember my medication and the times I have to take it, are set as alarm reminders on my phone, otherwise I would completely forget. So I know exactly where you are both coming from, and I must admit I find it [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] very frustrating and at times embarrassing too. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://www.ihaveiih.com

PostSubject: Re: Memory Problems!   Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:42 am

Yes, I get frustrated that I know my brain is not the same as it used to be! Before IH, I had to keep appointments and stuff like that written down. Well, to make a joke, I do have to keep my calendar in one place, lest I forget where I put it down!!!

I have graduate credits, and managed to get them, even with previous memory issues. Now, as I am in my mid 40's when some time the age thing will hit and people used to say it was a "senior moment" or a junior moment" I figure, what will I do when that happens?

To think that I worked and went to school part time, and when it was grad school part time, that was actually 1/2 time school, that would be impossible now. Well, I figure we can't moan the losses. There always has to be something we can laugh at! School was fun, and I still love to pick up a book to read, even if it isn't anything too deep.
Back to top Go down
geri

PostSubject: Re: Memory Problems!   Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:36 pm

Guys I don't have IIH and have a really bad memory. If I don't write a name down when taking a phone call by the time I have finished I will have no recollection of the name of who I was talking to! frustrating to say the least. But I cope by writing things down. I have been like this all my life so guess its just how my brain process' things. In work they now joke with me about it, you have to see the funny side really Smile if you don't you will dwell on the "can't" instead of focusing on the "can's"

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
jend73

PostSubject: Re: Memory Problems!   Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:22 pm

...am so glad I am not alone in this. The neurologist never mentioned this (or anything other than headaches and vision loss for that matter). I cried a little in relief today when I first came across others with the same symptoms I am experiencing. Sorry that anybody else has to endure this, but glad that I am not "just imagining things."
Back to top Go down
Heidi
Admin1
Admin1

PostSubject: Re: Memory Problems!   Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:35 pm

I don't think they realise just how much it affects our memory and they usually focus on the symptoms they can treat. You may notice that when are having "one of those days" when your head feels like it's under water, and you have headache, you will notice that your memory is usually worse then, than at other times.

Try and keep a record if you can, and see if that your memory is more affected on the days when you feel headachey and things. Then if you notice there is a pattern to it, and that the other times it's not so bad, you can then explain to family and friends how those times affect you, plus you will begin to feel more confident knowing that it isn't all the time, if that's what your record shows.
for you
Back to top Go down
Betsy

PostSubject: Re: Memory Problems!   Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:20 am

Keeping a record what different problems( memory, ataxia, aphasia, etc.) and how bad they are in relation to type and intensity of headaches is a great resource. You can use it to talk with family, friends and your doctors.

I have to say that the memory problems are the most frustrating and over the last several months the most scary. Sometimes when I'm in the middle of something all of a sudden nothing looks familiar and I don't know what I was doing. I use the public bus and most of the drivers know what buses I need to get home, so I am lucky if it happens on the bus I'll at least get home. It does get a little funny when some drivers that know me well can tell if I'm confused, one in particular says that it's naptime and he's sending me home.

Definitely focus on the things you can do and laugh at the funny things you do.
Back to top Go down
seasprite

PostSubject: Re: Memory Problems!   Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:47 pm

The not recognizing things around you is called Jaimas Vu. I have a seizure disorder, and in that context, it is a type of temporal lobe seizure. BUT, I think IIH sometimes gives us non-epileptic seizures. (seizures not caused by electrical misfiring in the brain, caused instead by the csf pressing on our brain.)
Back to top Go down
chickybabe

PostSubject: Re: Memory Problems!   Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:41 am

I too have memory problems. I have little or no short term memory anymore, for example I can't recall what I did yesterday. I have to keep a roster for housework so I know what I have or have not done, otherwise I spend most of the day repeating the same thing. Since it really affects my speech, I am very quiet and "shut off" because I find it so embarrassing when I simply forget what I am saying or trying to say. Or worse it just comes out jumbled and makes no sense what so ever.
For appointments I can write them done but if it is within a couple of days chances are I won't remember making the appointment or recall writing it down. So I rely alot on my partner to remind be of things. Also my 7 year old daughter has had to step up and help mummy remember things, which is beyond embarrassing considering I am only 24. Even my 3 year old has better memory than me and often ends up prompting me so I know what I am doing. I guess I just have to be grateful that I have such helpful and supportive family members around me to keep me on track.
Back to top Go down
Heidi
Admin1
Admin1

PostSubject: Re: Memory Problems!   Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:59 am

I know what you mean, I have had short term memory problems now for about 10 years, and it got worse 5 years ago. I'm ok if I am focused, but if I'm distracted or interrupted whatever I was told, needed to remember, or even what I was saying, completely goes. I have reminders on my phone and my PC for appointments, medication taking time and things like that. They have been really helpful, and I do explain to people that as I have a rare neurological condition, so because of it my memory isn't all that good, and my family are brilliant of writing things down for me to remember.

For your appointments and things like that you could have a memory board up in your kitchen or somewhere like that, use your PC calenda for reminders, use your mobile phone calendar and alarms, and keep a notebook and pen somewhere handy so you and your partner can jot down reminders and things on a daily basis to jog your memory.

I know it's frustrating, but you shouldn't be embarrassed by it, because it is part of your condition and entirely not your fault. hug
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Memory Problems!   

Back to top Go down

Memory Problems!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top