HomeRegisterLog inFollow us on facebookFollow us on twitterFollow us on youtubeFollow us on LinkedinFollow us on PintrestContact usFeedback

Share  | 

After 6 months from revision symptoms are back

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mcollins

PostSubject: After 6 months from revision symptoms are back   Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:22 pm

HI all its been a while since I have been on because I have been taking care of my father who has Alzheimers and loosing my mother. In January I went in for a shunt revision but when they got in everything was flowing perfectly and the vp shunt was working just fine so they adjusted my shunt from 13 down to 3 and have been feeling great for the past 6 months now for the past 3 to 4 weeks I have been getting headaches again and the past 4 days I have had a headache and vomiting and some slight confusion and really really tired all the time. The pain is unbearable but the docs are reluctant to give me anything because I am on lithium for my bipolar disorder and they are afraid that my kidneys will shut down. I have an appointment with my neurosurgeon tomorrow and went for a CAT scan today. I'm running out of hope that the shunt idea is even working and if there is a solution to these headaches.
Back to top Go down
Wylee

PostSubject: Re: After 6 months from revision symptoms are back   Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:47 pm

How did your appointment go?

I wonder if you may now have LOW pressure symptoms?!? I would think a lp may help shed some light on that.
Back to top Go down
mcollins

PostSubject: Re: After 6 months from revision symptoms are back   Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:31 am

My appointment went well the neurosurgeon said my shunt was working well and there was no backup of fluid in my brain. He is referring me to a new neurologist since my old one will not see me anymore. He is thinking that on top of the Intercranial Hypertension I may be having cluster headaches. The bad thing is that the neurologist is an hour away but I know they are very respectable practice. I am waiting for them to call me with an appointment.
Back to top Go down
Wylee

PostSubject: Re: After 6 months from revision symptoms are back   Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:00 am

Sounds like that hour trip may be so worth it. Hope it goes well.

I am wondering, do you feel better when you are laying flat on your back??
Back to top Go down
Heidi
Admin1
Admin1

PostSubject: Re: After 6 months from revision symptoms are back   Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:32 pm

I do hope this is something that can easily be sorted for you and quite quickly. Please keep us updated on how you get on.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ihaveiih.com
medmisfit
Admin2
Admin2

PostSubject: Re: After 6 months from revision symptoms are back   Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:32 pm

I'm sorry to hear you're still having issues! They tried to treat me for migraines and cluster headaches for three years, but it ended up being low pressure headaches because my shunt was overdraining when I was upright. I'll share what I experienced and maybe it will sound familiar..

I had a lot of nausea, especially when I first got up in the morning. The pain hit me like a ton of bricks when I got up too, but it eased up after a half hour or so. About mid-morning I'd start feeling the head pressure, neck, and spinal pain again. By the end of the day I could barely stand it. I would rush home to lay down and my symptoms would pretty much disappear. I had tingling and numbness that would sometimes go all the way down my left side, confusion, poor recall, etc. My vision would also get worse as the day went on, and I was ALWAYS exhausted. Rain and weather changes also made it worse.

The symptoms of low pressure vary depending on the cause, but my neurosurgeon said it's low pressure if symptoms subside when you lay down and get worse when you get up. He also informed me that spinal taps aren't reliable for overdraining because you only have an issue when upright and fine when laying down. I don't know if this would apply to you, but I would check before you put yourself through a spinal tap (if suggested). Medications also had no affect. The only thing that helped was caffeine, and it just took the edge off for a bit.

Did they say why they didn't adjust your shunt again? It was my understanding that you may have to make regular changes. I understand that they can't do it every six weeks, but, if your pressure was high, the initial change just may have felt really good. Now that your fluid has adjusted and stablized you may just need tweeked again?? I'm no doctor, but going from 13 to 3 seems like a drastic change.

Regardless, I hope they're able to find a quick and painless solution..it's so frustrating to find relief and have it taken away so quickly. Hang in there!!!

hug
Julie
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: After 6 months from revision symptoms are back   

Back to top Go down

After 6 months from revision symptoms are back

View previous topic View next topic Back to top